The blog posts featured here date from around 2008 - 2011

Garden Center in China Guangxi Nanning (1 of 5)

It started as a wish when I first arrived in this exciting new country, China.
I wondered if it were possible and too my amazement it was.
We, my wife and I had wandered around Nanning looking at other Garden supplies shops, well, I call them Garden supply shops but this is China, so your imagination is required.

There are no Garden Shops/Centres as I know them in China Nanning for gardening as such, what there is are Flower Markets…!!!
A collection of small units selling whatever is available (more on this later) including cut Flowers, various trees and shrubs, orchids, Cactus, Bonsai, Penjing, Chinese Teas, Birds, mainly budgies but others as well (more on this later), Bird cages, Rodents, Dogs, Cats, Bric a bac, Jade, Trinkets, varying kinds of pre-packed fertilisers, Pots in all shapes and sizes but not a great variety of style and more besides, just about everything imaginable…






You get the picture, not just plants. They are 
there, lots of them and they do tend to group together you just need to find them amongst all the other bits and bobs.
Finding the hidden bits is fun and often leads to some exciting finds (more on this later).
Nanning has 3 of these larger Flower plus other bits, markets.
The most popular by far being the older of the 3, often referred to as the 'Old Bird and flower market'. See Nanning China Gardening Information map on right. Situated

 on a steep slope located on the Yuan Hu Lu. (Chinese lesson, Lu = Road)
This market is the one that attracts the crowds all year round, especially weekends and this is the one I spent a lot of time looking at when I first arrived some 2 years ago whilst trying to establish whether or not it would be a wise move for me and my wife to get involved and actually take one of these units on and start selling plants again…
All photo's Old Bird and Flower market. Video link
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment